Deadline: 4pm, Tuesday, April 5
Start: May 2011
Corporate Communications Intern
Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is seeking a Corporate Communications intern to work with communications professionals to provide excellent communications venues for internal and external customers. These interns will be working in the Corporate Communications Division of the Directors Branch. These interns will report to either the Corporate Communications Director, or the Branch Communications supervisor.
The selected interns will learn both external and internal communications methods for SPU Branches.
There are two positions available, and will be filled at either the undergraduate or graduate level. The projected start date for these internships is mid-May. These internships are for up to 18 months or graduation, whichever comes first. We require a 1 year commitment for each intern opportunity.
Rates for both undergraduate and graduate interns is variable; will be discussed at time of interview.
Each intern will work with the Communications team in activities such as:
- Participate in external communications projects, such as writing outreach newsletters, public notices, press releases, and representing SPU at community meetings and outreach events.
- Work with project teams to develop, edit and proofread marketing materials for customer service programs.
- Work with branch employees to develop branch communications, including newsletters, Web content, and leaders’ talking points.
- Participate in project teams and work groups to develop outreach strategies and tactics for internal and external communications.
- Assist in collecting feedback from internal and external clients regarding the quality and content of the communications they receive.
Education: Applicants must be a junior or senior undergraduate student, or a graduate-level student pursuing a degree and/or certificate in Communications, Public Administration, Business, Political Science, English, Marketing, or closely related field. **Please note: students do not need to be enrolled over the summer as long as they are pre-registered for the fall.
Undergraduate students must be enrolled full-time for the equivalent of at least 12 credits for the duration of the internship.
Graduate students must be enrolled full-time for the equivalent of at least 9 credits for the duration of the internship.
Verification of enrollment for either undergraduate or graduate students is required at time of application.
Minimum Qualifications: Applicants must be able to:
- Prioritize and handle multiple tasks
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills
- Have the ability to document procedures and clearly convey steps in a complex process
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Are familiar with Microsoft office software
Licensing: Valid Washington State driver’s license is required. Selected applicant will be required to provide a complete driver’s abstract at time of hire.
- Familiarity with marketing strategies, communications plans and written procedures
- Experience in journalism or other strong writing background
- Website maintenance
- Project management
- Proficiency in Adobe software applications a plus
- Ability to adapt and learn different technologies (content management system, video equipment)
Hours: During the school year, work hours will be scheduled to complement class schedules (15-20 hours per week). The positions may permit up to 40 hours during breaks and summer months. Work is normally between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday – Friday.
Must maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA (undergraduate) or 3.0 (graduate).
How to Apply:
- Upload your college/university’s unofficial transcript. This should include a list of completed courses, courses currently in, grades for each of the courses as well as cumulative GPA. An official transcript will be required at time of hire.
- Spring quarter course schedule IF the transcript does not include this information
- Cover letter indicating your interest in this internship
- Resume clearly identifying how you meet qualifications
Selected applicants invited to interview will need to provide a writing sample and references at the time of interview.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Questions about the application?
Contact Linda Rogers at email@example.com or 206.233.7221