Position Title: Social Media Community Outreach Intern
Location: Jolkona World Headquarters
Reports to: Laura Kimball, Director of Communications & Social Media
Length: ASAP- end of August, with the ability to extend based on success
Compensation: Unpaid, Credit offered
Apply to: email@example.com
We are Jolkona, a nonprofit tech startup based in Seattle, WA. We offer a solution to people who want to see exactly where their donation dollars go by connecting them with global philanthropic projects via our network of partners (for as little as $5!). Every donation made on Jolkona goes straight to the project chosen, and every donor receives one-to-one level proof of feedback – whether it’s a photo, a story, or a video – allowing each donor to see the exact impact that they have made. Our mission is to create a ripple effect of change and show the world that everyone can change the world today.
Jolkona is powered by two fulltime employees and 20+ skilled volunteers and interns. We are young, passionate, and out to change the face of philanthropy.
Mission: To connect people with global philanthropic opportunities and show the impact of one’s donations.
This internship will give the individual valuable and practical experience in social media marketing and PR outreach to influencers, advocates, bloggers, media, and current and perspective donors. The selected individual will play a crucial role in investing in our community of donors, followers, likers, advocates, and super fans as we expand the reach and visibility of Jolkona.
· Generate a plan for community outreach and determine what information is needed to inform and acquire new donors.
· Identify, research, and engage with advocates, blogger passion groups, and media influencers.
· Increase the awareness of Jolkona and our nonprofit partners
· Act as a liaison across the Internet; participating in minute-by-minute online conversations by answering questions, offering solutions and mediating conversations; and creating content for feeds and sparking discussion on various social networking sites.
· Public relations – managing incoming media requests and building relationships with industry journalists; creating, executing and measuring media campaigns.
· Customer relations – providing customer support – answering questions however they come in (phone, e-mail, Twitter)
· Engaging with users on Jolkona-managed channels (blog, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and third party channels (non-Jolkona-owned blogs, community forums, etc.)
· Research industry standards and well-versed in community management trends and standards
Ideal Experience & Qualifications:
· Outgoing personality
· Loves sharing ideas with others
· Strong writing and communication skills
· Social media experience – knows how to use social media for personal and professional use (yes, they are different!)
· Independent, creative self-starter
· Loves running with things while keeping everyone inside the organization in the loop
· Spends a lot of time online and stays up-do-date on new and fun things out there for web savvy users as well as regular people.
· Passionate about Jolkona’s mission
· Great time management skills, ability to multitask, intelligence
· Culture fit – this especially applies if you’re at a small company. The person needs to get along with your other employees and needs to mesh with the company’s culture
· Currently pursuing or recently completed a degree in English, Writing, Journalism, or Marketing Communications.
· 10-20 hours a week, usually split over 3 days a week in our office in downtown Seattle.
· Our office is laid back and fun, though it’s BYOC (bring your own computer).
· Must be able to attend bi-weekly team meetings that are held Wednesdays at 7pm
· Must be able to attend all company wide meetings (usually one every other month).
As a social media intern, you have a lot of flexibility in where you can do your work and how it can be done. You will be expected to fulfill the majority of your internship while working in our office located in downtown Seattle. (Let’s face it, it’s way easier to learn if you’re in the same room as us). Opportunity to occasionally work from home may be an option as the internship progresses.
· Exposure to the startup nonprofit world
· Opportunity to place this position and company on your resume
· Letter of recommendation upon successful completion of tasks
· Referrals on LinkedIn
· Ability to build on your portfolio
· Credit offered at most Universities (please ask for specific credit questions)
· Experience working in a growing and fast paced, startup environment
If you are interested in applying for this position please send the following to: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Cover letter with one professional reference
In your cover letter, please include:
· Why you are interested in working with Jolkona
· Describe how this internship fits with your personal and professional goals.
· Links to personal and professional profiles and handles on social media.
· Your personality – you’re applying for a job where you will communicate and engage in real-time in social media, we want to know that you can do this.
If you don’t have a resume, please submit a document that highlights anything that you have done as part of your schoolwork, student groups, or extracurricular activities on a personal level where you have demonstrated these skills. We are open to candidates without any previous work experience, if you can show us that you know what you’re doing.