Position Title: Blog Manager Internship
Location: Jolkona World Headquarters
Reports to: Laura Kimball, Director of Communications & Social Media
Length: ASAP- end of August, with ability to extend based on success
Compensation: Unpaid, Credit offered
We are Jolkona, a nonprofit tech startup based in Seattle, WA. We offer a solution to people who want to see exactly where their donation dollars go by connecting them with global philanthropic projects via our network of partners (for as little as $5!). Every donation made on Jolkona goes straight to the project chosen, and every donor receives one-to-one level proof of feedback – whether it’s a photo, a story, or a video – allowing each donor to see the exact impact that they have made. Our mission is to create a ripple effect of change and show the world that everyone can change the world today.
Jolkona is powered by two fulltime employees and 20+ skilled volunteers and interns. We are young, passionate, and out to change the face of philanthropy.
Mission: To connect people with global philanthropic opportunities and show the impact of one’s donations.
Interested in broadening your awareness and offering your expertise surrounding writing, blogging, content strategy, and social media? Jolkona is offering a Blog Manager Intern (also called Blog Master internally) to assist in running our blog including content management and upkeep and being a member of Jolkona’s content team. The goal of this position is to implement the strategy for Jolkona’s blog and take our content to the next level.
· Create and maintain editorial calendar for the blog, including establishing goals for upcoming topics, reaching out to the Jolkona team to write posts, edit, and deliver in a timely manner.
· Editing posts for style, grammar, and spelling. Selecting photos to upload with post. Optimizing post for selected keywords.
· Manage the daily and weekly posting of articles and loading them into WordPress.
· Content creation – writing blog posts, articles, newsletters, communications materials, and material for social media channels.
· Work with the content team on writing donor and impact stories.
· Developing and revising content for submission to other sites and channels.
· Stay up to date on new social media tools, best practices and how other organizations and organizations are using them.
Ideal Experience & Qualifications:
· Loves to write & enjoys sharing ideas with others
· Excellent writing and communication skills
· Ability to write for varied audiences
· Prior blogging/Internet writing experience (on a personal or professional level)
· Organized with a strong attention to detail
· Project management interest and/or background
· Independent, creative self-starter
· Loves running with things while keeping everyone inside the organization in the loop
· Spends a lot of time online and stays up-do-date on new and fun things out there for web savvy users as well as regular people.
· Experience with WordPress
· Experience with keywords and meta tags is preferred
· Prefer experience in writing, journalism, or marketing communications
· Enjoys learning and is curious!
· 10-20 hours a week, usually split over 3 days in our office in downtown Seattle.
· Our office is laid back and fun, though it’s BYOC (bring your own computer).
· Must be able to attend bi-weekly team meetings that are held Wednesdays at 7pm
· Must be able to attend all company wide meetings (usually one every other month).
As a web content intern, you have a lot of flexibility in where you can do your work and how it can be done. You will be expected to fulfill the majority of your internship while working in our office located in downtown Seattle. (Let’s face it, it’s way easier to learn if you’re in the same room as us). Opportunity to occasionally work from home may be an option as the internship progresses.
· Exposure to the startup nonprofit world
· Opportunity to place this position and company on your resume
· Letter of recommendation upon successful completion of tasks
· Referrals on LinkedIn
· Ability to build on your portfolio
· Credit offered at most Universities (please ask for specific credit questions)
· Experience working in a growing and fast paced, startup environment
· Current resume
· Cover letter with one professional reference
· 2-3 writing samples or links to your strongest blog posts
In your cover letter, please include:
· Why you are interested in working with Jolkona
· Describe how this internship fits with your personal and professional goals.
· Links to personal and professional profiles and handles on social media.
· Your personality – you’re applying for a job where you will communicate and engage in real-time in social media, we want to know that you can do this.
If you don’t have a resume, please submit a document that highlights anything that you have done as part of your schoolwork, student groups, or extracurricular activities on a personal level where you have demonstrated these skills. We are open to candidates without any previous work experience, if you can show us that you know what you’re doing.