Work for a Tourism Industry Leader
Seattle’s Convention & Visitors Bureau is accepting applications for an Intern to work in the Public Relations/Communications department at Seattle’s Convention & Visitors Bureau at 7th and Pike.
Who We Are
Seattle’s Convention and Visitors Bureau, a private, nonprofit marketing organization, has served as Seattle/King County’s official destination marketing organization (DMO) for more than 50 years. The goal of these marketing efforts is to enhance the employment opportunities and economic prosperity of the region.
Some 9.3 million visitors spend $5.5 billion in Seattle and King County annually, contributing $440 million in state and local tax revenues. Direct visitor spending benefits hotels, retailers, restaurants, attractions, transportation services and other businesses, and supports jobs for more than 49,000 people in the Seattle region.
The primary function of the SCVB Public Relations/Communications department is to increase the economic impact of tourism in the city and county through coverage by the media. The department also oversees organizational and tourism industry communications.
The Public Relations/Communications Internship provides college students to become involved in, and learn about, both the tourism industry and professional public relations.
Scope of work:
Intern will participate in a number of projects, including but not limited to:
- Assisting visiting journalists: This may require arranging interviews, suggesting story ideas, working with local hotels, restaurants and attractions.
- Press trips: Assisting in arranging itineraries, dining, transportation, lodging, tours, escorting and interviews.
- Special events planning and promotions, including press conferences and live radio remotes.
- Writing and copywriting of feature stories, press releases, newsletters, reports, publications and other organizational documents.
- Representing the department at tourism industry functions.
- Responding to media requests for in-depth information by phone, e-mail, fax and mail.
- Assembling press kits, maintaining photo/video library and general office coordination and assistance.
- Track media coverage through the department’s clipping service.
- Develop media lists and editorial calendars.
- Tabulate media mentions of SCVB’s members and compile them in a report.
- Assist with publications, website postings and other organizational communication projects.
This position is open to a Junior or Senior design student interested in gaining real world experience working in an in-house marketing/graphics department.
The ideal candidate should have the following qualifications:
- Senior undergraduate standing (junior, graduate students and recent graduates considered)
- Excellent research, writing and communication skills
- Social media understanding, experience preferred
- Graphic design, HTML knowledge/experience preferred
Seasonal PT position: Fall 2011 – Winter 2012 (3- and 6-month internships)
Work Schedule: 20 hours a week
Compensation: Bus pass for duration of the internship
To apply send application materials to:
Director, Human Resources
Seattle’s Convention & Visitors Bureau
701 Pike St, Ste. 800
Seattle, WA 98101
Application process: Send cover letter, resume, transcripts and letters of recommendation.
For more information about Seattle’s Convention & Visitors Bureau, visit our web site at www.visitseattle.org.