Application URL: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=YmJnZW5lcmljLjQxMzExLjM2MzFAZmlzaGVyY29tbXVuaWNhdGlvbnNpbmMuYXBsaXRyYWsuY29t
Position: Designer – Senior
Location: New York, USA
Let your passion for design and innovation help grow and improve a network of sites that is viewed by millions of people every month. Fisher Interactive Network, a division of Fisher Communications, operates news, lifestyle and community information websites throughout the country.
We are looking for a designer who is passionate about creating beautiful online interfaces and user experiences that will help us forge new ground in how local news media is consumed and delivered online. We’re not after someone who wants to be a cog in a wheel. We want a designer who will use their design expertise to help in our product design and development process from planning through to final product.
You’ll have a hand in designing interfaces across a variety of platforms, including mobile, tablet, social, over-the-top TV applications and sites designed for traditional desktop browsers.
What you have:
- 3 years experience working in a design capacity at a consumer-facing web company (fast-paced, start-up environment preferred)
- Strong portfolio showcasing skills core design and UX principles
- Solid understanding of layout, typography, color and other design principles
- Passion for designing online experiences that delight and engage users
- Minimum of two years producing standards-compliant cross browser, and gracefully degrading code.
- Advanced knowledge of CSS and HTML; HTML5 and CSS3 a plus.
- Working knowledge of responsive design concepts.
- Experience designing templates and theming within a large-scale publishing system or CMS.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to package text, graphics, photos, video and audio into a well-designed user experience.
- Proficient designing interfaces for multiple standard supported browsers.
- Expert in Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and other software design tools.
- Experience with broadcast video, audio, and animation design a plus.
- Experience designing for mobile a plus.
- A healthy engagement with the industry and your trade. E.g., staying current with evolving and emerging technologies.
- An ability to work independently, while contributing to the overall team.
- Excellent communication skills.
What you’ll do:
- Help shape the visual direction for online sites, products, templates and graphic elements for all of Fisher’s properties, including KOMO News, Seattle Pulp, Star101.5 and Fisher-owned Stations in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and California.
- Work within a small, cross-functional team to concept, create and design the look and feel, graphic elements, page layout and navigational templates for multiple types of sites, products and services, including mobile, social, tablet and over-the-top TV apps.
- Seek to bring the voice of the customer into all product development initiatives.
- Work closely with Internet engineers, front-end developers, QA and content producers to insure the integrity of design initiatives, design quality and the overall user experience.
- Translate the page layout and graphic designs into valid cross-browser HTML and CSS.
- Maintain skills with emerging technologies and tools to implement new product features as they become feasible.
- Participate in market and customer research, including usability testing, and recommend and incorporate changes into product design.
- other duties as assigned
Fisher Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the education, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
3-5 years of experience required
Bachelor’s degree (BA or BS) preferred