Application URL: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=bWJ1cmNoYW0uMjM2OTMuMzYzMUBmaXNoZXJjb21tdW5pY2F0aW9uc2luYy5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20
Position: Social Media Manager
Location: Portland, Oregon
KATU.com is looking for a social media manager to join our existing team of web producers. The social media manager is first and foremost a journalist and will adhere to the highest journalistic standards in all of his or her work.
The social media manager will take a leadership role in maintaining KATU’s social media presence and interacting with readers on our social media platforms, including Facebook and Twitter. We are looking for a creative person who will develop new ways for KATU to use social media, including tie-ins with our news broadcasts. The social media manager will also be responsible for writing and posting news stories to KATU.com, including writing and reporting breaking news. A strong journalism background is required.
- Oversee social media use within the KATU newsroom to ensure compliance with company policies and expectations.
- Manage KATU’s day-to-day social media activity, including Facebook, Twitter and other networks.
- Create and direct social campaigns that engage with readers, build brand and drive people to KATU.com.
- Train and direct FIN and broadcast newsroom staff on tools, usage policies and best practices.
- Monitor all FIN and KATU-branded social media accounts of all staffers to provide ongoing feedback and improvement.
- Manage contesting on and appearance of all KATU social media sites.
- Facilitate integration of social media efforts with broadcast products and content.
- Work with Director of Social Media to develop social media best practices.
- Report, write, select and publish original news and other stories to station website and other sites in text, video, still image and other media formats.
- Ensure consistency and accuracy of stories on the site and consistency with the station news department.
- Ability to react to and post breaking news quickly and accurately.
- Monitor station’s newscasts and mine other information sources for news and distinguish newsworthy stories for the site.
- Ability to work autonomously and use individual judgment on content postings to sites.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the education, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1-3 years of experience required
Bachelor’s degree (BA or BS) required
– BA/BS degree or equivalent (Degree in journalism or related field strongly preferred).
– Journalism background and knowledge of AP style required.
– Strong news writing and social media skills required.
– TV news production experience preferred.
– Strong graphics skills required.
– Strong computer skills required.
– Experience with Photoshop, advanced HTML, and digital video editing is helpful but not required.
– Must be self-directing, self-motivating and able to work will with a diverse group of people.
– Must be able to handle stress, including short deadlines.
– Must have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Fisher Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer