Associate Job Description – Cocker Fennessy Public Affairs – April 2014
Cocker Fennessy is seeking an experienced Associate to support the firm’s public affairs, legislative advocacy, media relations and social and online media capacities.
Cocker Fennessy is a Seattle-based public affairs firm providing communications advice and services to private, public and non-profit clients. We develop and implement communications strategies, conduct public opinion research, provide legislative coordination and advocacy, and manage social and online media campaigns. Please see www.cofen.com for more information.
The Associate position is an outstanding opportunity to learn about and help address some of the Pacific Northwest’s most pressing policy issues – from funding higher education and cultural programs, to crafting communications plans for local businesses, Native American tribes, non-profits and state agencies.
Under the guidance and supervision of the firm’s Principals the Associate will serve numerous client accounts as well as preform some marketing and administrative functions for the company.
- Conduct print, online and social media monitoring to track communications results and stay informed on relevant issues
- Manage websites, blogs, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Vimeo and Flickr channels and campaigns
- Draft written content for social media, websites, news releases, newsletters and presentations
- Manage online and print advertising initiatives, including on social media and search engines
- Help maintain contact databases for regional news media, elected officials and community leaders
- Support media relations efforts, including serving as a press contact as needed
- Contact state legislators regarding client events and initiatives, and coordinate with lobbyists
- Track and support relevant legislation and other campaigns during the legislative session
- Assist in implementing outreach and community relations programs, materials and events
- Support company marketing efforts, including proposals, events, presentations and meetings
- Interest in/passion for government, communications and public affairs in the Pacific Northwest
- College degree, preferably in Public Relations, Communications or Political Science
- Strong writing and verbal skills
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in public affairs, news media or government relations or campaigns
- Outstanding software and technical computer skills;
- MS Office, Outlook and social media experience required
- Design, website management, photography, video or multimedia experience a plus
- Interest in and talent for using new technology to engage the public and tell client stories
- Keen attention to detail, including AP Style editing and media writing
- Works well under pressure, including working directly with top-level business and elected leaders
- Ability to work independently, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and meet deadlines
- Competitive salary, vacation, holidays, health insurance, 401k, bus pass, etc.
- Send resume and a cover letter that explains what interests you in the Associate position.
- The cover letter should also briefly summarize your ability to meet the required qualifications.
- Send resume and letter to Cocker Fennessy, Inc., at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have questions, please contact us by email. Phone calls are discouraged.
- Applications received by Friday, May 9th will be given priority.