Student PIRGs Campus Organizer: 2015-2016 Job Description
Students founded PIRG (Public Interest Research Group) over 40 years ago, based upon the simple idea that America has more problems than we should tolerate, and more solutions than we use.
Today, on any college campus, you can find students who feel driven to take on problems outside the classroom, whether it’s global warming, big money in politics, or hunger and homelessness.
As a PIRG Campus Organizer, your job is to recruit these students to get involved — and to train them to be effective leaders who can run campaigns that make an impact in the community, in the state capitol, in Congress, at the White House, or wherever it will make a difference.
We’re hiring Campus Organizers to work on 40 campuses across America.
Early Application Deadline: October 19th
Responsibilities may include:
- Recruiting hundreds of students to volunteer
- Teaching students to plan and run effective campaigns through internship classes and on-the-ground training
- Building relationships with faculty and administrators
- Organizing news events and rallies, and generating the grassroots support it takes to win campaigns
- During the summer, each Campus Organizer runs a citizen outreach office. This entails fundraising and building the organization, by canvassing and training others to canvass.
- Strong work ethic
- Outstanding verbal and written communication
- Proven leadership skills
- Strong commitment to getting results
- Passion for making positive social change
As a PIRG Campus Organizer, you will participate in regional and national trainings run by experienced Student PIRGs staff, consisting of both classroom-style learning and hands-on experience. This training will supplement the valuable skills and hands-on experience you gain on your campus.
Salary & Benefits
Campus Organizers earn $24,500 in the first year. The Student PIRGs offers a competitive benefits package. Eligible staff receive paid holidays, sick days, and vacation days; and the opportunity to enroll in our group health care, college loan assistance, and 401(k) programs. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Find out more
Find out more information at jobs.studentPIRGs.org. If you have any questions you can contact Micaela Preskill, Student PIRGs Recruitment Director at (312)544-4436 ext. 304 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How To Apply
Apply online at jobs.studentPIRGs.org by October 19th.
The Student PIRGs and all PIRG-affiliated organizations are equal opportunity employers and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.