SOLID GROUND Internship Position Description
POSITION TITLE: Communications Intern
REPORTS TO: Communications Specialist and/or Communications Director
HOURS: 10-30 hours a week; minimum of 8 weeks; flexible start date
SALARY GRADE: Unpaid internship; opportunity to publish work on award- winning community blog
With the compassionate and respectful help of over 5,500 committed volunteers, Solid Ground supports more than 60,000 King County residents each year in meeting their urgent housing, food and lifeskills needs to escape poverty and thrive.
Solid Ground counters racism, oppressions and the institutional practices and policies that perpetuate poverty. Employees, volunteers and interns are responsible for developing and safekeeping a culturally-diverse work environment. Compassion, flexibility and respect are valued and encouraged. We believe that a multi-cultural, multi-racial workforce is critical to our work.
Since 1974, Solid Ground’s culture of innovation, partnership and action has created many of King County’s most effective anti-poverty programs including Lettuce Link, Broadview, LIHI and Economic Opportunity Institute. Solid Ground’s volunteers address inequities and make an impact that benefits all Washingtonians.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Communications Intern works at the direction of the Communications Department to generate impactful and engaging stories and visual content about our work and issues related to addressing poverty, racism and other oppressions.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES & TASKS:
• Research and write content for Solid Ground’s Blog, Facebook and Twitter pages
(1-3 blog posts/week).
• Research and obtain appropriate images for use in media.
• Proofread/copyedit print and web-based content generated by the
• Other related tasks, as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Interest in writing about poverty and Solid Ground’s efforts to help people thrive.
• Experience writing or editing publications and/or web-based content is a plus.
• Fluency in MS Office Suite necessary. Knowledge of desktop publishing programs a plus (including Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, and WordPress for blogs)
• Photography/videography skills a plus.
• Experience working with low-income communities or demonstrated interest in issues affecting low-income communities.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
• Ability to work individually in a self-directed manner and as part of a team, coordinating efforts with program staff.
• Willingness and ability to work with people from a variety of racial, cultural and economic backgrounds, with various lifestyles, sexual orientations, and of all ages.
TO APPLY: Applicants complete a Solid Ground Internship application form and Washington State Patrol background check, which can be obtained by contacting our Volunteer Coordinator at 206.694.6825 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please return completed applications to: Solid Ground, Attn: Volunteer Coordinator, 1501 North 45th Street, Seattle, WA 98103-6708. Please attach a cover letter and résumé, along with two short (1-2 pages) writing samples (e.g., blog/social media posts, essays, newsletter articles, etc.) along with your application.
WOMEN, PEOPLE OF COLOR AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. SOLID GROUND IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.