PUBLIC RELATIONS INTERN
The primary function of the Visit Seattle Relations/Communications department is to increase the economic impact of tourism in the city and county through coverage by the media. The department also oversees organizational and tourism industry communications.
Visit Seattle, a private, nonprofit marketing organization, has served as Seattle/King County’s official destination marketing organization (DMO) for more than 50 years. The goal of these marketing efforts is to stimulate economic development through tourism throughout the region.
The Public Relations/Communications Internship allows college students to become involved in, and learn about, both the tourism industry and professional public relations.
Hours: 20 hours per week
Timeline: Fall 2015; (3- and 6-month internships)
Compensation: $12/hr plus ORCA card for duration
Scope of work:
Intern will participate in a number of projects, including but not limited to:
- Assisting visiting journalists: This may require fact checking of stories, coordinating photos, arranging interviews and working with local hotels, restaurants and attractions
- Assisting with web site posting, editing and photo procurement
- Writing, editing and researching for press releases, newsletters, reports, publications and other organizational documents
- Photo library maintenance and development; storing and organizing new and existing photos
- Developing media lists and editorial calendars
- Responding to media requests for in-depth information
- Assembling press kits, maintaining photo/video library and general office coordination and assistance.
- Tracking media coverage through the department’s clipping service and compiling reports
- Assisting with publications, website postings and other organizational communication projects such as annual reports, organizational newsletters and more
- Assisting with social media posting, tracking and planning
This position is open to a Junior or Senior communications student interested in gaining real world experience working in an in-house PR and communications department.
The ideal candidate should have the following qualifications:
- Senior undergraduate standing (junior, graduate students and recent graduates considered)
- Excellent research, writing and communication skills
- Social media understanding, experience preferred
- Graphic design, HTML knowledge/experience/interest preferred
To apply: Submit cover letter and resume to PR@visitseattle.org.
Deadline to apply: October 20, 2015
For more information about Visit Seattle, visit our web site at www.visitseattle.org.