SEATTLE ART MUSEUM Unpaid Intern Position Description
Title: Communications Intern
Department/location: Public Relations/Marketing Office
Staff supervisors: Communications Coordinator
Purpose and goals: The intern will work with staff to maximize visibility of selected exhibitions and programs for SAM.
Time: Minimum 3 month time commitment; up to 20 hours per week, schedule flexible within M–F, 9–5 office hours. Desired start date: as soon as possible.
Duties & responsibilities:
- Maintain listings of museum programs and events
- Implement social media strategies
- Media relations
- Event logistics
- Organize electronic press clippings
- Compile press kits and materials for media
- Write press releases for exhibitions, programs and events
- Assist public relations and marketing in special projects
- Experience working in a professional, office setting.
- Prior public relations, marketing, graphic design and writing experience a plus.
- Experience utilizing facebook, twitter and blogging preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work with staff and volunteers in a professional manner in a variety of tasks.
- Ability to communicate effectively to staff, volunteers and public.
- Ability to ask for help and accept supervision and evaluation of your work.
- Abide by the Standards for Museum Volunteers/Interns as outlined in the Volunteer/Intern
- Manual dexterity.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds.
- Working towards completion of a BA or MA in art history, communications, digital media, English or other related field.
- Working toward a master’s degree in one of the above fields preferable.
- General SAM orientation provided by Volunteer Department
- On-the-job training will be provided, as needed.
Submit a Seattle Art Museum Intern Application: http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/about-sam/careers#int Mail: Manager of Volunteer Programs, Seattle Art Museum
1300 First Avenue
Seattle WA 98101-2003