Editorial Internship, Norwegian American Weekly
Do you love journalism and Norway? An exciting internship is available onsite at the Norwegian American Weekly’s Greenlake-area office. You’ll contribute articles and help steer the direction of the nation’s only Norwegian newspaper. While learning the inner workings of a small weekly print and online publication, you’ll also have the opportunity to engage your creative side as the voice of our mascot, a 125-year-old “nisse” looking for his lost family.
The ideal candidate has studied journalism and creative writing, and has an interest in Norway and at least one of the following: travel, sports, and persuasive writing. A deep love and knowledge of social media is an absolute must, as is basic computer literacy and excellent writing. Priority consideration will be given to candidates with Norwegian language fluency and/or proficiency in Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, but these are not required.
10-15 hours/week, primarily on Tuesday and Thursdays. Training will be on other days. $12/hour to start. There is the possibility to make this a permanent part-time position if the fit is right.
- Take charge of sourcing or creating content for one page of the newspaper: Travel, Sports, or Opinion, depending on availability and student inclination. Get familiar with the content we’ve already used and the sort of content that’s appropriate and valuable for our audience. Cultivate a network of writers; work with the rest of the staff to coordinate content and make an editorial calendar; source rights-free or one-time-use images to accompany stories. Work within our style guide (modified AP).
- Be part of our social media presence, including managing our mascot’s Instagram and Twitter accounts.
- Digitize back content onto our website.
- Work with subscriptions and handle office work as necessary, including answering phones.
- Design or modify advertisements as needed.
How to apply
Send your resume, cover letter, and a brief writing sample including journalism and a few sample tweets from Nils Anders Wik to email@example.com. Please first familiarize yourself with what we do by looking over http://www.na-weekly.com, visiting our Facebook page, and checking in on Nils Anders Wik’s twitter @NAWnisse. His origin story is at http://www.na-weekly.com/featured/naws-new-friend/.
Don’t hesitate to apply; we’d love to start someone right away! Open until filled.
Emily C. Skaftun firstname.lastname@example.org 206-784-4617