Communications Fellow Internship Position
Reports to: Conservation Projects Coordinator Location: Seattle, WA Period: May – August/September 2016
Marine Conservation Institute is opening an internship position for a Communications Fellow in our Seattle office. This position is an unpaid, 3-month minimum commitment for individuals looking to assist a 501(c)(3) conservation non-profit. The commitment can be extended after a 3-month performance evaluation. The estimated time commitment is 18-30 hours/ week in our Seattle office between the hours of 8-4 PM. No benefits or relocation costs are provided, except standard holidays falling during the internship term and public transit reimbursement.
We’re looking for an individual who shares our commitment to the preservation of marine life. This individual is attentive to detail and able to assist with a variety of administrative tasks including: communications assistance, development work, assisting executive staff, program assistance and general online research. Training is provided. We prefer candidates who have a demonstrated ability to work independently, with minimal direct supervision.
As a leader in the global movement to protect and recover the integrity of vast ocean areas, Marine Conservation Institute uses the latest science to identify important marine ecosystems around the world and then advocates for their protection. We work with scientists, politicians, government officials and other organizations to identify key threats to areas in the sea and then build workable solutions. Our unique effectiveness comes from our vision, expertise and our willingness to partner with others. Working out of our Seattle office, volunteers have the opportunity to work with our staff to gain important skills and insights into conservation advocacy.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and basic photo editing
- Data entry and management
- Ability/ willingness to learn new computer programs
- Basic internet research
- Preferred: Adobe Photoshop and/or Illustrator, MailChimp, Google Documents
- Interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proofreading/ Editing experience
- Familiarity with major social media platforms
- Organization/ attention to detail
- Filing system knowledge
- Punctuality/ meeting deadlines
- Ability to work independently
Intern tasks may include:
- Social media coordination (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)
- Curating daily e-newsclips
- Facilitating conservation petitions/ action alerts
- Proofreading a variety of external documents, emails, blogs, website pages
- Researching and data-entry for media lists
- Implementing minor edits to Marine Conservation Institute’s website
- Research for the institute’s speaker program
- Writing basic blogs
- Brainstorming for a variety of activities/ programs
- MailChimp monthly e-newsletter
- Conservation program assistance
- Board of Directors work: note taking, committee work and individual assistance
- Internet based scientific and ocean research
To apply to this position, please send the following materials via e-mail to email@example.com. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis starting March 15, 2016. Please reference the position title and your name in the subject line.
- A cover letter detailing your interests, relevant experience, goals and availability;
- A résumé;
- A list of 3 references.
- Two-three writing samples
Please no calls.
Evado PR Internship Description
Description of Evado PR:
Evado PR is a connected, engaged and experienced public relations firm based in Seattle. Our 20 plus years of collective experience includes a diverse range of industries encompassing hospitality, entertainment, restaurants, consumer products, retail + lifestyle, fashion + beauty, spirits and non-profits. Our work includes traditional public relations, marketing, event planning and support, and social media strategy and implementation.
Description of the internship, job duties:
The intern’s work will be tailored to focus on their personal interests in pr but may include: clip reporting, updating media lists to familiarize with local lifestyle media, event support, writing blog post entries and/or media alerts to refine their AP style, researching companies and media outlets, brainstorming social media strategies, and attend client meetings and photoshoots when appropriate.
Students and recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
Number of hours a week: 10-12 depending on applicant’s schedule
Paid/unpaid: unpaid; school credit can be arranged
How to apply: Email introduction with resume and 1-2 writing samples if applicable to firstname.lastname@example.org.