Communications Intern (Seattle, WA)
One Million Kids For Equality works to engage, educate, and elevate the voices youth around equality. We work on a broad spectrum of issues, utilizing the power of the personal story to elevate the voices of youth in our efforts to create positive change for all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) people and their families.
We are looking for a smart, motivated, and detail oriented individual who is interested in learning the ins and outs of public relations, marketing, and communication in a fast paced non-profit environment.
We are currently accepting internship applications. We encourage interns to apply for college credit and will assist with paperwork. We encourage you to consult with your university prior to beginning your internship with us. Volunteers are also welcome.
One Million Kids For Equality is an all-digital team that works remotely and meets 2-3 times weekly in local cafes and coffee shops.
- Write and distribute press releases and media advisories
- Pitch stories to local and national media outlets.
- Write articles for organization’s blog.
- Draft emails to organization’s membership list.
- Monitor news coverage and media presence.
- Develop and maintain organization media lists.
- Correspond with members, volunteers, and staff regarding projects and special events.
- Conduct research and prepare reports to be used in emails, press releases, and announcements.
- College student or recent graduate, with a major in Public Relations, Communication or related field.
- Excellent written communication and organization skills
- Experience with writing press releases and cultivating media relationships preferred but not required.
- Experience with WordPress preferred but not required.
- Will need to have your own laptop computer.
- Enthusiastic, reliable and proactive team player
- Experience with Google Docs is a plus.
We’d like someone who can work an average of 15-20 hours per week with flexibility for actual days worked. Start and end dates are flexible. This internship is a minimum one quarter (10 weeks) commitment, however interns are welcome to continue their internship for as long as they like.
This is an unpaid internship, ideal for junior and senior college students as well as recent college graduates.
How To Apply
To apply, email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include in the subject line of the email your last name and Communications Internship. In your letter, please indicate where you learned of this posting, and let us know why you would like to be an intern at One Million Kids For Equality.
One Million Kids For Equality is an equal opportunity emplower and encourages qualified individuals of every race, creed, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.