Thank you for your interest in the Seattle Professional Chapter of Women in Communications (AWC Seattle) College Scholarship program. Each year, our chapter raises money through special events to fund scholarships for Washington state college students majoring in communications disciplines. In the past 30 years, Seattle AWC has awarded more than $80,000 in scholarships to help foster the next generation of professional communicators.
For the 2017-18 academic year that begins in Fall 2017, the chapter will award one scholarship of $2,000.
Applications and accompanying materials must be received by email or postmarked by March 31, 2017. Eligibility requirements and submission address are listed below.
Scholarship selections are based on:
- Demonstrated excellence in communications
- Cover letter, work samples, honors/special awards, projects
- Goals and progress toward communications career
- Contributions toward communications on campus and/or in the community
- Scholastic achievement (GPA in major)
- Financial need
- For University of Washington and Washington State University students
- only, membership in the student chapter of AWC serves as a tiebreaker
Seattle AWC Scholarship Eligibility and Submission Requirements 2017-18 Academic Year
Eligible students must meet the following qualifications:
- Be a registered student at a four-year college in Washington state for Fall 2017
- Be a junior or senior student as of Fall 2017
- Be accepted in, or applying to, a major in at least one of the following communications disciplines:
- Digital Media
- Graphic or multi-media design
- Journalism (print or broadcast)
- Public relations
- Speech communications
- Technical communication
- Television or radio production
- Video or film
- Your application packet must include the following:
- Cover letter explaining your educational and career goals and what you are doing to reach those goals
- Application form (pages 3 through 6 of this packet)
- Unofficial transcripts of all college work
- A current resume
- Two writing samples of two pages or less in length each.
- We recommend these be from your communications work or classes.
- If you are a student in a graphics or multimedia discipline, you may submit one sample of your work in that discipline and one writing sample.
- Portfolio links are not an acceptable formats for writing samples. By email (preferred): By mail (must be postmarked by March 31, 2017): If you have questions, please email: StevensCL@comcast.net The Association for Women in Communications (AWC) is a professional organization that champions the advancement of women across all communications disciplines by recognizing excellence, promoting leadership, and positioning its members at the forefront of the rapidly evolving communications industry. 2017-18 Scholarship Application Student ID # _____________________________City_____________________________ State ________ Zip___________________ City_____________________________ State ________ Zip___________________ Email Address ______ College Information for 2017-2018 College you currently attend:
- Phone ( )
- Address at home _____________________________
- Address at school _____________________________
- Name _____________________________
- Student Profile Please type or print clearly (you may print this form and fill in by hand if you wish).
- Deadline: March 31, 2017
- AWC Scholarship, PO Box 60262, Shoreline, WA 98160
- StevensCL@comcast.net with “AWC scholarship” in the subject line
- Submit application and supporting materials by March 31, 2017:
- Class status in Fall 2017: Junior Senior
- College you plan to attend in Fall 2017:
- Have you been accepted? If no, please specify expected acceptance date:
- Cumulative GPA Communications GPA _____________
- Area of concentration / type of communications major:
- UW and WSU students only — are you a student member of AWC? yes noFinancial Information for 2017-18 School Year(All financial information will remain confidential. Please indicate specifically the extent to which you are responsible for your education and personal expenses.)Your assets and expected income: Family assistance available: Describe any communications work you have done, on or off campus (public relations or advertising campaigns, newspaper writing, internships, freelance work, volunteerism, etc.). Describe any extra-curricular and community activities, volunteer or public service. By email (preferred): StevensCL@comcast.net with “AWC scholarship” in the subject line* See page 2 of this packet for required materials
- By mail (must be postmarked by March 31, 2017): AWC Scholarship, PO Box 60262, Shoreline, WA 98160
- Submit application and all supporting materials* by March 31, 2017:
- Applicant’s Name or Signature Date
- By submitting this form, I certify the information is true, complete and accurate to the best of my knowledge:
- 2. One professional or community service reference email address or phone number
- 1. One academic reference (professor/teacher) email address or phone number
- Describe your most important campus activities, including honors, special awards and projects.
- Describe your goals for your academic training and prospective career in communications.
- Student Goals and Activities You may print and fill in or use this form. Attach an additional sheet if needed to fully respond.
- Other anticipated grants and scholarships:
- Estimated college costs (tuition, fees, and books):